Ibis Group Endowed Professor in the Science of Reading
The School of Education at the State University of New York (SUNY) at New Paltz is pleased to announce the search for an Endowed Professor in the Science of Reading. This is an exciting opportunity for a distinguished academic practitioner to serve as an Endowed Professor in the Science of Reading at the School of Education and the Science of Reading Center for Excellence at SUNY New Paltz. The successful candidate will be an experienced academic leader ready to join a growing academic enterprise on the cutting edge of discovery, learning, and engagement. The Endowed Professor must have an applied research or scholarship agenda and will take up residence in the School of Education for at least two years to work cooperatively with faculty and share cutting-edge pedagogical reading strategies with pre-service and novice teachers, while also conducting empirical studies focused on the outcomes of effective reading instruction. This position will be supported by a graduate student, administrative assistant, and project coordinator. The Endowed Professor is to assume office by August 2024.
This Endowed Professorship, the second in SUNY New Paltz history, is made possible in part by a gift to the University from the Ibis Group, a non-profit with the mission to ensure every student has access to evidence-based instructional methods to master grade-level reading. The Ibis Group gift additionally provides for the establishment of the Science of Reading Center for Excellence and a new academic offering for practitioners, the Science of Reading Fundamentals microcredential.
Duties of the role include but are not limited to:
• Maintain an applied research or scholarship agenda by conducting empirical studies focused on the outcomes of effective reading instruction
• Teach graduate coursework in the Literacy Education program
• Participate in the Microcredential in the Science of Reading Fundamentals
• Partner with local school districts, pre-service and novice teachers, literacy specialists, and school administrators by sharing cutting-edge pedagogical reading strategics
• Provide service to the field and profession (e.g. organize annual literacy symposia)
• Participate in programmatic development of literacy initiatives at the institution, local, state, and national levels
We seek a distinguished academic practitioner who is committed to advancing equity, access, and advocacy work in literacy education with the following qualifications:
• Candidate must have an earned a doctorate in Early Childhood or Childhood Education, Adolescence Education, Reading/Literacy Education, Curriculum and Instruction, or a closely related field from an accredited university.
• Candidate must have an established record of research productivity in the Science of Reading.
• Candidate holds or has the ability to obtain New York State Teaching certification and Literacy Certification, K-12.
• Candidate holds a faculty rank of Associate or Full Professor.
• Candidate has a background and or knowledge base in the neuroscience of reading.
• Candidate has a record of experience in both P-12 classrooms and higher education.
Contact Information: Electronic submissions required. Individuals with disabilities who need assistance with the application process should call (845) 257-3628. Questions regarding this position may be directed to Kristin Backhaus, Search Chair and Dean of the School of Business at SUNY New Paltz at email@example.com
Candidates will be required to electronically submit:
• A substantive cover letter addressing the qualifications and agenda listed above
• Curriculum Vitae (CV)
• Contact information for at least three professional references and a note indicating the nature of your working relationship with each; references will not be contacted without the permission of the candidate. Information should be submitted in a single PDF file.
Applications will be accepted until the time that the Endowed Professor is appointed, candidates should submit materials by November 15, 2023 for the most favorable consideration.
Other important information about this vacancy: This position offers full New York State benefits which are among the most comprehensive in the country. The State University of New York at New Paltz is a highly selective, public college that is recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs. It is located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley with easy access to New York City and other nearby recreational and cultural amenities.
SUNY New Paltz recognizes the unique skills, perspective, talents and passion that each employee contributes to its learning community. To work here is to accept an invitation to participate in the growth and development of all campus members–students, faculty and staff. The College’s commitment to inclusive excellence is an important part of our mission of public education and our culture. New Paltz continues to work on building a community that supports freedom, mutual respect, and civility. We seek others who support these values of diversity and inclusiveness and candidates of all diverse backgrounds who wish to participate in our cultural aspirations are welcome and encouraged to apply.