The University of North Texas is a Tier One Research University in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex – the fourth-largest metropolitan area in the United States. This dynamic region is seeing explosive growth, demographically and economically, with several of the fastest-growing municipalities in the nation, and is host to countless excellent restaurants, parks and outdoor opportunities, cultural institutions of all types, and globally diverse populations. UNT is located only 26 miles north of DFW International Airport. UNT is among a very few universities to be a Research 1 University and also a Minority-Serving Institution (MSI) and a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI). UNT has a highly diverse campus with a wide range of languages spoken in addition to English. We welcome candidates who have experience with HSI/MSIs and/or who speak Spanish, Vietnamese, American Sign Language, Chinese
(Cantonese, Mandarin and other variations), Arabic, Tagalog, Farsi, French, or/and Yoruba.
The Department of Teacher Education and Administration (TE&A) seeks an Assistant or Associate Professor of Literacy Education to begin Fall 2024. The successful candidate will join Curriculum & Instruction faculty in a dynamic undergraduate program leading to EC-6, and secondary teacher certification. Literacy Education faculty are also active in the department’s Masters and PhD programs in Curriculum and Instruction, working closely alongside department colleagues to reshape and reimagine education from critical perspectives.
The successful candidate will teach undergraduate and graduate courses in Literacy Education and Curriculum & Instruction; serve on and chair doctoral committees; maintain an active research agenda; secure grant funding; and provide service to the Department, College, University, community constituencies, and professional organizations. Summer teaching is contingent on student demand and funding.
(1) Earned doctorate with emphasis in Literacy Education (or a related field), with ABD candidates considered if the dissertation is successfully defended prior to September 1, 2024;
(2) For associate professor candidates, a teaching and publication record commensurate with that rank at UNT;
(3) Research, teaching, and/or leadership experience diverse populations; and
(4) Evidence of a strong research agenda.
(1) Expertise in elementary reading; (2) Experience helping early career teachers navigate complex policy environments while supporting children in broad processes and practices of reading; (3) Teaching experience using multiple technologies and the ability to teach and develop courses for online instruction making use of new technologies to further support just, equitable and inclusive education; (4) A minimum of 3 years successful PK-12 teaching experience; (5) Teaching experience and research agenda that focuses on reading pedagogy and with communities like those found in Texas; and (6) Evidence of successful grant procurement; and (7) Research agenda focused on topics of contemporary urgency.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
Please submit: 1) Cover letter that addresses required and preferred qualifications, 2) Curriculum vitae, 3) List of names and contact information of three references.
Committee review of completed applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applications must include all required components to be considered. The search committee will contact references only after advanced stages of screening. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment along with a criminal background check.